Monday, February 26, 2007

Defining the Seduction Community

I NEED YOUR FEEDBACK. If you took the time to stop by my blog & read this blog...PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK.

As some of you know, I am currently working on a Seduction Community Project for my Communication Studies class.

The project is focused on the parallel concepts in the "the community" with concepts in media (advertising, entertainment, propaganda).

I am having a very difficult time finding a "GOOD" workable definition for the community. There is a bad definition(in my opinion) on wikipedia. So I came up with my own version of the definition:

A loosely connected world-wide subculture of (mostly) men who strive for consistent success with seducing women through self-improvement and greater understanding of female and social psychology. These men are called pick-up artists (PUAs) and are skilled (or seek to be skilled) in the arts and non-exact sciences of seduction. These men are networked “together through internet forums and groups, as well as over a hundred local clubs, called ‘lairs’” and other similar local groups and gatherings.

What do you think? I am looking for CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on my definition.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Ana,

I like your definition. I think it describes the community well. The only thing I might change is the

...understanding of female and social psychology. section.

I'd replace it with, ...understanding of male/female social dynamics.

We don't just study female and social psychology. Our own (male) psychology has MUCH more to do with seduction than understanding female psychology. I think it is better to say that we study the way that males and females interact with each other for the purposes of seduction (ie - male/female social dynamics).

Of course this is just my opinion. I think your definition is good as is though.

-Matt

Marc said...

Hi Ana,

I like this brief definition but I must emphasize that you have followed the path of many media groups by emphasizing that PUAs "seduce" women. This isn't exactly true. We "attract" women AND men (just with different results).

Although the results we get from each interaction differ, we are still using the same methods to win over both genders. I would suggest changing every "seduce" with "attract" and "seduction" with "attraction". It may seem like a small change, but it makes a world of difference when explaining it to people.

I think that Matt is correct as well, about the male/female social dynamics.

Anyways, hope this helps.

~Prizm~

Pickup Podcast said...

Ana,

Got your comment. We'd love to talk to you privately. Wouldn't it be cool to have audio to compliment your project? ;)

-Jordon
pickuppodcast.com
jordon@pickuppodcast.com

Ana Renee Jones said...

Matt,

Good observation about male/female dynamics. I still feel that (male and female) psychology is something that is apart of this community, so I included the mention of both psychology and dynamics in my new definition. I am really looking to be specific and concise, so all opinions are being considered.

Prizm,

Good advice on attraction. I've added the word to the new definition. However, I am having a very difficult time replacing all incidents of "seduction" with "attraction" because I believe that sex/seduction is a universal goal of those in this community. If the goal was just "attraction" than there would not be such an emphasis on sex or "getting laid". To quote sin "sex is normal and natural". To skirt (female reference intended) around the issue would be a great disservice to all.

I heavily considered Tenmagnet's blog post about female psychology when making this decision. Attraction often equals desire for sex with men but with women attraction does not equate to sex (necessarily). Let me know what you think of my new definition and I will take into considerations any arguments you have regarding changes.

Jordon,

I've enjoyed the advice from your podcasts. I haven't listened to them all but I look forwarding to checking out more of them this weekend. I'll contact you shortly with more details regarding my paper. I am excited to site such a new medium (podcast) in my research paper. Please if you get a chance critique my definition.

To All,

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment on my definition. One thing I really like about this community is the social capital aspect of it (i.e., people coming together with their collective resources to get things done).

Thanks again,
Ana