Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Inner Game Issues: Stress Management

You may not believe how much stress interferes with my interpersonal relationships. I'm currently learning to manage my stress more effectively but it's hard.

My mom called me yesterday to tell me she's flying into LAX tomorrow (which is really today, Sunday). She mentioned this to me previously but what she didn't mention before was that she expected me to chauffeur her around for the duration of three days.

She has business in Irvine this week. So she wants me to drive her out there today after she exhausts me. Then she wants me to pick her up, drive her to Orange County, attend a party with her next Saturday afternoon and take her back to Irvine. And finally, she wants me to pick her up from her hotel in Irvine to take her back to the airport on Sunday. Ugh.

Then on the phone, she gave me a guilt trip about her having to consider getting a rental car. I hate guilt trips because they always trip me up.

I guess it wouldn't be so stressful, if I felt caught up on my studies but I'm not and before she called, I was looking forward to having today to dedicated to finally catching up. It doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I am not exactly sure why I am so stressed out but I am. I tried to meditate for 40 minutes but it just put me to sleep.

This inability to manage stress effectively occurs with most of my relationships, especially my romantic ones and I am sure that it comes through towards guys. I'm working on learning better strategies for dealing with these issues. It's a long, slow battle.

2 comments:

Me said...

You're a very kind person for doing all of that for her.

Matt said...

I don't what it is about this time of year but it seems like it is stressful for a lot of people. Don't worry summer is almost here and hopefully we can all relax a bit more:)