Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Importance of Crucial Conversations

I'm running into the same problem as most bloggers. I find it difficult to post daily. I put other things first and completely ignore my journaling. However, now it's an assignment so I really need to be doing it daily.

I have a lot going on in my life right now. Who doesn't? Right? Let's see if I can address some of these things here.

The most recent book I've read for pleasure was Crucial Conversations.

I was at Carmax Friday to pickup my car from the mechanics. There are several minor things they said they would work on as part of my purchase agreement. Well, they had my car all last week while they were waiting for parts. They gave me a "loaner" car to drive in the meantime. It was very uncomfortable.

When I got there they told me, that the parts had just come in and they would like to keep my car to work on it. They don't work weekends so, they'd basically just work on it for a few hours on friday and then wait until Monday to resume (yes, they are open on Dr. MLK Jr. Day). I told him I wanted my car back for the weekend and they could start working on it Monday. He agreed.

While I was at CarMax, there was a stray kitten who had run into the service area. They said it's mother had died and that they were going to call animal control because no one was going to be there over the weekend. I decided to take the kitten w/ me.

I got it professionally washed and her fingers clipped. I brought her home and everyone fell in love w/ her, except that cat (Matisse) that already lived here. He hissed at her. So, I was told by the owners to keep her in my room. They gave me a litter box, food, and water.

The next day, after we went to the farmer's market, the kitten and the cat got to check each other out first hand. Matisse was very calm and didn't hiss at all. The kitten on the other hand, hissed, growled and terrorized him.

I had a screenwriting group meeting to attend off of Mulholland, and I was told to let the kitten roam the house. We I got back, she was in my roommates room getting feisty with a stuffed animal. I was told by my roommate that the family had named the kitten while I was gone. I was hurt and felt left out.

This morning, the discussion of the kitten came up. I let the family know that I was still considering whether I wanted to adopt the kitten myself or let them adopt it. That's when they told me they named the kitten. I let them know I wasn't sure and that I wanted to think about it more. Having a kitten is a lot of responsibility. The two owners of the house left for Costco.

When they came back, the door to my room and the door in the hall leading to my were both open. I went to close the door immediately but it was too late, the cat had escaped. I was searching the living room for her when the daughter of the family noticed the kitten under the couch. The front door was wide open because they were still bringing in stuff from Costco and then it happened.

I felt insulted by a comment "Someone needs to get their shit together" and the whole thing just blew up. I've been hiding out in my room ever since trying to figure out how to correct this situation.

I recently purchased Crucial Conversations from Amazon and upgraded my purchase to receive an extra electronic-online version instantly (and indefinitely) I starting reading through it for suggestions on how to handle this Crucial Conversations better than I already had. It's tough. I sent an email to the family letting them know I wanted to talk and work things out. We'll see how it's received. Hopefully when can come to a mutually respectful decision and the kitty gets a good home.

No comments: